Mass Media Culture and the Media Business

Hello all, my name is Alyssa Campbell.

Photo by Elliot Pond

I am originally from Long Beach, Calif., but have been residing in Corvallis, Ore., for almost three years. Before anything, I would say: I am a poet.

Studying journalism has been a passion of mine since middle school. Although I was extremely shy growing up, it was the art of the interview that drew me in. It forced me to get out of my comfort zone, and gave me the opportunity to connect with all different kind of people.

After moving to Corvallis, doing extensive research on the journalism program at LBCC, and wanting to get back to pursuing this dream of mine (becoming a journalist), I ended up at Linn-Benton Community College.

I have fallen in love with being an editor, and have even found that I'm pretty good at it. I would definitely say my dream job would be working as an Editor-in-Chief for a literary and art magazine, and write/produce my own podcast discussing and interviewing, poets, writers, and musicians.

I understand the field I am going into is very competitive, but I do want to throw in there that I would like to NOT STARVE in the midst of following my dreams. So getting paid a decent amount to do what I love is definitely the goal.

With media, I am most interested in learning about the different trends and changes, our connection with it, and how it affects our daily lives/future. I definitely want to be more literate on media, so that I'm able to think more critically. I'm also hoping this will also give me a little more guidance in the midst of learning how to navigate and maintain my own online presence.

Outside of college I am passionate about: WRITING, reading, music, spoken word poetry, learning more about other cultures, strengthening the connections with my family and friends, and the never ending quest of not only finding, but maintaining a balance.
Lua Perez is a blogger that I discovered on Myspace many years ago, and immediately fell in love with her style. Over the years she's built her brand to much more, including lifestyle/travel vlogs, beauty, photo diaries, home decor, and has even recently started selling her own print shirts. I also follow her on Instagram, and twitter.
Sophia Amoruso is an ULTIMATE bad ass, and such an inspiring business woman. I found out about this podcast because I've followed her on other social media platforms. She is well known for her shopping website Nastygal.com, and her #girlboss movement. The podcast goes with the #girlboss theme and features women who have built very successful careers for themselves, asking questions about their first job, proudest accomplishments, and advice.
I am not a mom, but the channel features numerous guided meditations for different purposes, I'm assuming she started out with the original plan of making it for moms but switched things up. Lisa Beachy is the owner of this channel, and I honestly came across this channel by chance. I was at a point in my life a few years back where I just felt I needed more guidance and wanted to try something different. My life has definitely changed for the better since incorporating meditation to my routine and Beachy's voice is just very soothing and relaxing for me, I feel safe and calm when I hear her voice.
Interview Magazine was founded in 1969 by Andy Warhol. I actually followed on Instagram and twitter because I was so intrigued by the Instagram aesthetic. I love the art of the interview and they usually feature some of my own personal favorite artists, writers, and musicians, and a lot of up and coming talented artists, as well as culture, fashion, film, etc. They also have a cool-chic vibe and always have a compelling black and white photo to tease their interviews. 

Comments