The Internet and New Technologies

Three organizations that I follow are:

1) KBVR FM


I follow OSU's student run radio KBVR, because I really enjoy the variety of music played by the student DJ's. I also really enjoy the daily news blasts, and the different radio shows/podcasts. Orange Media Network has a lot of compelling content and KBVR is a great way to stay connected with what's going on, on OSU campus, and in the Corvallis community. I really think college radio is important because it's created by students, and builds a community through sound and story telling. It also gives students the opportunity to explore their creativity by having complete creative control, which I really appreciate.


2) TOMI LAHREN



https://twitter.com/TomiLahren

Tomi Lahren is a 24-year-old conservative who is extremely opinionated. I follow her because she addresses topics that are extremely controversial and even though half of the time I can't believe most of what comes out of her mouth, I think it's important to not only follow people who share similar views as myself. Also, I find the dialogue between liberals and conservatives extremely interesting and like to have a combination of both on my twitter feed.

3) AMYPOEHLERSMARTGIRLS


Amy Poehler is not only extremely hilarious, but she empowers young women to be exactly who they are. Part of the AmyPoehlerSmartGirls mission statement is to "emphasize intelligence and imagination over 'fitting in,'" which I really love. They also encourage the idea of being fearless and following your dreams. Not to mention there are always highlights of women in STEM, and I always love to see women succeeding in male dominated fields.

"Vote Different"


In this ad, the visuals show everyone zombie-like, in a daze, under control and monitored constantly. Aside from the woman running in the Obama shirt to save everyone by breaking the screen, the colors are gray, and dull. Typically in movies when they are warning the audience what the world will turn out like, everything is colorless; no emotion, and no joy. That's definitely the vibe I got from this, and it was kind of scary.


Social Media

Photo from http://marketingland.com

I definitely do feel social media has enhanced my ability to take action and participate in democracy, government, and other activities by: being able to discuss certain issues around a topic I feel passionate about, and share information

I will admit when I have that sudden urge to rant on Facebook, or Twitter, about my thoughts on politics or what's being shown in the media: I typically find myself regretting it right after.

I find myself thinking, "This is MY page, I should be able to express my thoughts." Then I am reminded, that other people, are going to express their opinions as well, and while the beauty of it is that they have that right, I have mixed feelings on online debates. At times, I don't find the whole back and forth thing very useful, because it usually turns into an argument, name calling, and online bullying. But, these debates do help with our democracy because it challenges people to THINK and question their opinion after hearing another's stance. Because of social media, we are able to connect with people from all over and share information, and have these debates that will challenge our perspectives on things.

Aside from that, as a journalist, being able to get my articles out there, and see how people respond to them, and even thank me for covering a certain issue, is extremely rewarding. Rather than ranting about my opinion, I do my research, go to the story, collect data and information, and put together content, that for me, is a very heartfelt. This definitely makes me feel like I am doing my part in participating in democracy.

For example, with my piece "Embracing Intersectionality," It has been extremely overwhelming seeing all of the positive feedback I have been getting on Facebook and Medium. Without being bias, I wanted to create a piece that was going to not only document the Women's March, which was an extremely important event in history for my generation, but also enlighten on these issues that happened in our own community regarding women who did feel silenced by the Portland's Women's March original organizers, and the discussion of the lack of intersectionality in feminism.

By doing that I was also able to shed light on women from the event who used this as a time to make sure their voices were heard, and work towards creating change.

(Going a little off topic) For me, after that march, after doing that piece, after documenting time, it confirmed for me that this is what I am supposed to be doing. Even after sharing some of the photos I took on Instagram, and seeing other photos people took and articles written after the event, it felt like we all came together in so many different ways during a time that for many feels so dark.


"Japanese Donald Trump"



THIS IS GENIUS and hilarious.

I definitely think Mike Diva wanted to make fun of America and Trump, without being biased and putting in his own opinion. The Japanese girl in the video is clearly in love with Trump, and see's him everywhere. The rainbows, pretty pastel colors, and upbeat music make it seem like everything is going to be great, it's a dream come true. But then you start seeing things blowing up, swastikas, tanks, and at some point she flies into his mouth: this could resemble him consuming the Japanese flesh? Eventually this all ends with Trump turning into a transformer and blowing up the earth. The creepy part is as a person watching this I'm not sure if that was supposed to be a warning, or to show this is all a part of a narrative Trump is supposed to fulfill.


One mainstream news source reporting it:

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/music/la-na-pol-trump-japanese-commercial-20160616-snap-htmlstory.html

This article basically just tells what's going on in the video, without analyzing it too much. But one thing that was pointed out was something I didn't originally catch on my own. In the commercial it says Trump was elected as "World President" and is "God." Based on that I definitely think this is going with the conspiracy theory that the world is heading towards a new world order, with one world leader, and one world government.

Comments