Gender, Race and Sexuality Through Poetry

Cave Canem poet and activist Makalani Bandele visits LBCC


With a calm demeanor and surreal personality, poet and activist Makalani Bandele wanted to create a more intimate discussion, so instead of standing, he sat on the stage.

On Friday, April 15, Bandele visited LBCC for a poetry reading and held a poetry workshop the following day.

Poet and activist Makalani Bandele.
(photos by Alyssa Campbell)
“He is the type of human being that lets his soul reach out to other people,” said LBCC advisor Tim Black.

Black and Bandele met at Cave Canem, an annual retreat for African American poets and writers in Greensburg, Pa.

“I held myself back,” said Black. “I was terrified I wasn’t black enough to attend Cave Canem, until I met Makalani.”

Originally from Kentucky, Bandele was making his second trip to Oregon.

“I love this part of the country,” said Bandele.

Funding for Bandele’s visit came from the Student Leadership Council and the Gender and Sexuality Alliance Club. They accepted $1000 for his honorarium tickets.

LBCC student Ashley Horne.
The English Department and the Benton Center each gave $100 to help cover the cost of his workshop.

“It always strikes me when I hear people introduce me as an ordained minister,” said Bandele. “You wouldn’t expect some of the topics I talk about.”

He explained how writing on gender and sexuality helps answer his own questions by putting himself in a situation where he’s able to learn more about himself.

“The writing process forces me to think about it,” said Bandele.

Bandele’s writing process is interesting. He uses a series of word play exercises that help keep his poetry abstract and non-conventional.

“I am more concerned with the way a line sounds than its meaning,” said Bandele. “Sound is very important to me.”

His writing process involves paying attention to the types of images that are being created and “taking control” of the poem.

“I just love freedom of expression; it’s very energetic and real,” said LBCC student Ashley Horne.

Some sources he gains inspiration from are free-jazz and abstract art.
LBCC English member Tim Black and LBCC student Ashley Horne.
“There’s nothing worse than listening to outdated moldy poems,” said Bandele. 

His advice for aspiring poets is to read contemporary poetry and look up the national book winners from the last 10 years.

“Let your teachers help guide you when reading someone like Whitman,” said Bandele. “My favorite poets are contemporary poets.”

“I’m always playing with music structure and film structure, approaching how a painter approaches a painting,” said Bandele, who describes his work as “non-conventional avant garde.”

Through his poetry, Bandele hopes he will be able to help people’s minds become a little freer.

“I’m not a reader of poetry at all so it was interesting having someone read their poetry and hear his creative views on music and art,” said LBCC student Zebedee Ira. “It was a new experience for me.”

Bandele likes to challenge language and the status quo. He believes readers want poetry to be disruptive just as much as they want it to follow the rules.
LBCC student Zebedee Ira.

“In order to change the status quo, it must be disrupted,” said Bandele. “A lot of contemporary poetry wouldn’t have happened if it weren’t for deconstruction.”

His workshop went further into explaining the difference between conventional and non-conventional poetry. He also gave exercises to help write abstract poetry.

“This really made me think about thinking differently,” said LBCC student Paige Kosa. “Your thoughts can go all over and that’s okay, especially if you’re communicating for emotion.”

Comments