Choosing Faith and Identity

Muslim student navigates a life between two cultures


“He has ties to a nation that a lot of people don’t understand that he wants to shed the light on, he does a brilliant job of doing that because he’s very passionate,” said LBCC Staff Raven Womack.

LBCC student Kase Allozi.
(photo by Marwah Alzabidi)
He continued, “He wants to show everyone his religion is bigger than what the media has portrayed it to be and I’m very happy for him that he gets to do that.”

Being American and Muslim, Kase Allozi feels he has an advantage publicly speaking about Islam because he is able to bring the best of both worlds.

“When people don’t like me just because I happen to be middle eastern or because I’m Muslim, it hurts. Especially the people I take interest in. But like anything I forgive them and it’s water under the bridge,” said Allozi. “I’m not gonna let it bring me down.

I process that hate and turn that energy into love and peace.”

Kase Allozi, 28-year-old pre-med student was born into Islam. His father’s side is completely Muslim while his mother, an American Muslim, was born into Christianity and found Islam after Allozi was born.

As a young kid seeing his mother make this change, Allozi realized soon he would have to make a decision for himself.

“I had to find myself. When I was here I didn’t feel completely like America was my home. I thought going to Jordan would be the answer, but it wasn’t. There I was the light-skin American. Here I’m the dark-skin Arab,” said Allozi.

Allozi was born and raised in Texas and lived in Jordan consecutively for six years. Going back and forth for 15 years he returned to Texas at 18 years old.

“That was the point in my life where I really became an individual,” said Allozi. “I said to myself I’m me and nothing can change that.”

He got accepted into the University of North Texas and lived in Dallas, Texas. As a transfer student, he enrolled at Oregon State University and is taking classes at LBCC.

“My home is wherever I am and with the people that I love and surround myself with during that time,” said Allozi.

Prior to giving his “What is Islam” presentation on Feb. 3, Allozi said 80 percent of him was nervous he would forget something he wanted to talk about, or that he wasn’t prepared enough.

“I made sure I was giving them a true factual basis of what is Islam, from an American who happens to be Muslim,” said Allozi. “I felt they would pay attention and be more accepting of what I had to say, than coming from someone born and raised in the Middle East who’s only lived in the U.S. for a few years. They would be speaking from an Arab point of view.”

The other 20 percent of him was nervous because he happened to be a Muslim speaking in a church.

“But that’s the beauty of America,” said Allozi. “That’s what I wanted them to also see, that’s why I accepted the invite. I wanted to show yes, I can talk to you in a church as a Muslim, because we’re all American.”

Allozi is going to be a part of the LBCC Unity Celebration on Wednesday, Feb. 24, in the Fireside Room where he will be sharing a piece he wrote.

“I am excited. His speech is very personal to me. It definitely shows the history of Islamic culture and Jordanian culture in a very engaging light. It’s something I’m excited for people to hear and experience,” said Alexander Meyer, LBCC student.

At a glance:

-Kase K. Allozi
-28
-Married with a daughter
-Pre-Med Student
-Biology major
-Dual Enrolled at OSU
-After finishing school he wants to work in the U.S. for 15 to 20 years and move to Jordan after establishing a good resume. He wants to create a system where the poor get free healthcare and the rich have to pay.

Comments